Use Ayurvedic psychology, yogic breathwork, dosha balancing, and circadian medicine — all backed by science — to refine subtle awareness and take transformational action to free yourself from physical, mental, and emotional blocks that hinder your wellbeing… and shorten your life.
What You’ll Learn in Empowered Aging Using Ayurvedic Wisdom & Modern Science
You’ll connect with John Douillard and experience his teachings through seven pre-recorded video modules.
When you enroll, you can start immediately — or anytime you like — and watch each module on-demand so you can move through the course at your own pace.
The video and audio recordings will be available for you to download or stream in high-quality format at your convenience.
The Empowered Aging Using Ayurvedic Wisdom & Modern Science course will feature video teachings, training sessions, and experiential practices with John Douillard. Each module will build harmoniously upon the previous ones, so you’ll develop a complete holistic understanding of the practices, tools, and principles you’ll need to age consciously with Ayurvedic wisdom and modern science.
Module 1: Conscious Aging — Where Science Meets the Ancient Wisdom of Ayurveda
Longevity is not a measure of years lived — it’s an opportunity to become conscious before our precious time on Earth is up.
In this first class, you’ll learn what it means to live consciously according to the ancient practice of Ayurveda.
Since childhood, we have been unconsciously ruled by and addicted to a reward-based brain chemistry that’s dependent on approval, appreciation, and consumerism — often at the expense of long-term health and happiness.
When we don’t experience immediate gratification, we feel discontent, which leads to chronic stress. And science tells us that stress can lead to depression, cognitive decline, heart disease, cancer, and other life-threatening diseases.
In this opening module, you’ll get an introduction to systems that will set the foundation for conscious longevity. In the weeks to come, John Douillard will guide you to dive deeper into these concepts and put them into practice.
In this first module, you’ll:
- Become conscious of the fact that you’re unconscious
- Explore Ayurvedic psychology and the Dhanur Veda — the Veda (or ancient Hindu text) of transformation — and how to tap into your most subtle and powerful self… as well as your life’s purpose, or dharma
- Discover the science of rasayana, the Ayurvedic study of longevity
- Understand the pace of a sattvic, peaceful life
- Learn to get in sync with your circadian clock for better sleep — and more balanced energy throughout your day
- Discover the anatomy and Ayurvedic take on breathing, digestion, and your lymphatic system
- Move through a breathing exercise Dr. John Douillard calls “creating the eye of the storm” — to help you stay calm anywhere, anytime
- Participate in a one-minute meditation for resetting your nervous system
Module 2: Ayurvedic Psychology to Reduce Stress & Fortify the True You
Ayurveda was created to bring the body into balance in order to enhance self-awareness — which allows us to separate the truth from untruth, and take transformational action.
Ayurveda translated means ayus (life) and veda (truth). Indeed, the true purpose of Ayurveda is to reveal the truth of your life!
In this second module, you’ll take a deeper dive into Ayurvedic psychology, learning how apply two foundational principles:
The extent to which something or someone affects you is the extent to which you’re able to take transformational action (this is your karma).
Do not be attached to the fruits of your actions.
In this module, you’ll discover:
- How to balance your koshas, or the sheaths of your subtle body
- How to put lessons from the Dhanur Veda into practice and take transformational action
- Self-inquiry to become conscious and free
- A writing exercise to help you tap into true feelings, followed by guidance on how to act on what you’ve learned
- How non-attached giving changes your genetic code
- The science of psychobiotics and how microbes, plants, and humans all depend on each other
- The power of prayer through the science of biophotons
Module 3: Breathing Practices for Enhanced Self-Awareness, Lymphatic Health & Longevity
Chairs, which are a relatively recent invention, may be the nemesis of longevity!
Sitting, slouching, and lounging literally drive the diaphragm down into a contracted state, making it impossible to take a full breath.
The insidious result is devastating: Your oxygen–carbon-dioxide–nitric-oxide balance is disturbed, potentially leading to overbreathing, anxiety, apnea, heart disease, stroke, obesity, developmental issues, indigestion, lymph congestion, breast and other cancers, and a shortened lifespan.
This session, you’ll discover why breathing is the key that unlocks approximately 90% of our human potential — raising your vibration and freeing you from unwanted emotions and insatiable desires.
John Douillard will also explain how most of us suffer from tissue hypoxia, and he’ll explain the risk of mutagenic stem cells that increase the risk of cancers.
Learning evidence-based Ayurvedic breathing practices will release oxygen from the blood and restore optimal tissue and brain oxygenation. This increases self-awareness, rejuvenates stem cells, lowers blood sugar and blood pressure, and more.
You’ll learn how your diaphragm, your body’s major breathing muscle, is also its major lymphatic pump, flushing toxic substances from your brain, belly, skin, and joints.
As you’ll discover, proper pranayama breathing practices are major lymph movers and powerful rasayanas, or longevity super tools.
In this module, you’ll explore:
- The benefits of breathing through your nose instead of your mouth
- A home yoga-pranayama practice to help you boost self-awareness and lymphatic health
- The lymphatic benefits of breathing
- How to use breathing to enhance self-awareness and neuroplasticity, and change old emotional patterns
- A slow breathing practice to help you reach more subtle states of being
- How to practice kumbhaka, or breath holding, for improving mood and energy levels, as well as reducing stress
Module 4: The Digestion-Lymph Connection — Seasonal Diets to Restore Digestive Balance
According to Ayurveda, 85% of all disease originates from digestive imbalances.
Today, 74% of Americans suffer from some form of indigestion — suggesting that most are at risk for an unnecessary degenerative concern due to an unresolved digestive issue.
Meanwhile, best-selling books and other resources convince us that the solution is to take certain foods that are harder to digest out of our diets.
From grains and goitrogens to nuts and nightshades, we’re told that our problem is food…
However, both research studies and ancient wisdom tell us this isn’t true.
Yes, you may feel better without lectin-rich grains, but the underlying digestive concern will remain unaddressed, only to surface years later as a more aggressive health concern…
Digesting well requires the same hardware as detoxifying.
Removing a food group may help a digestive symptom — but it won’t help you digest and detox the mercury from coal-plant plumes… or the 70-plus million tons of toxic substances that the EPA reports are dumped into the U.S. environment annually.
As you’ll discover, conscious longevity helps you troubleshoot the most common digestive imbalances and address each issue with the right foods and plants — to restore digestive balance… so we can all digest like an 18-year-old again.
In this module, you’ll discover how to:
- Troubleshoot each stage of digestion
- Stop taking foods out of your diet to solve your digestive concerns
- Implement seasonal eating, which will diversify and align your diet and digestion
- Repair your specific digestive imbalance with foods and herbs
- Understand the digestion-lymph connection and evaluate and restore optimal lymphatic function (in Ayurveda, this is the study of longevity)
Module 5: Sync Up Your Daily & Seasonal Biological Clocks — Circadian Rhythms for Better Days, Restful Nights & a Longer Life
During this session, you’ll explore the science behind circadian medicine, and learn how to apply it to your daily life.
Science now understands that biological clocks are turning off and on in each cell throughout the day, and with each season.
Modern life has largely ignored natural rhythms for when to eat, sleep, and wake. The result is a disturbance in the way trillions of microbes in the soil, in our guts, and on our foods are in constant communication with each other.
A disturbance in these relationships, called a holobiont, is now understood to be a fundamental cause of disease.
Obesity, aging, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and a host of other age-related concerns are all linked to a lifestyle out of sync with natural rhythms.
Let Ayurveda teach you how to go with the flow…
In this module, you’ll discover:
- The Ayurvedic clock and how to live life going downstream, without as much effort and exhaustion
- How to wake up, go to sleep, and eat at the right times
- An Ayurvedic daily routine in sync with nature’s circadian rhythms and your biological clock
- How to revisit eating seasonally — and start to plan a winter diet
- How the right microbes in each season can boost immunity in winter, decongest in spring, and dissipate heat in summer
- The meaning of Nature Deficiency Disorder, how to assess whether you suffer from it, and how to prevent it
- Ayurvedic intermittent fasting and calorie restriction
- How to practice a no-artificial-light weekend to reset your circadian clock
Module 6: Ayurvedic Life Extension — Boost Stem-Cell Production & Anti-Aging Repair With a 4-Day At-Home Cleansing & Rejuvenating Spiritual Retreat
According to Dhanur Veda, in order to make permanent transformational changes, your mind, body, and spirit must be in sync, without emotional distraction.
This session, you’ll learn how molecules of emotion, or mental ama in Ayurveda, are recorded and stored, and how they keep us locked in unwanted repetitive patterns of behavior — those patterns we learned when we were kids.
To access these stored emotions (and the chemicals that arise from them), Ayurveda traditionally prescribed a regular cleansing practice to initiate a state of fat burning. This was typically done a few times a year with the change of the seasons.
Using a process now studied in Western science, called lipophilic mediated detoxification, environmental and emotional pollutants are effectively removed from the body.
John Douillard will also introduce the transformational 4-day Kaya Kalpa Cleanse you can implement at home. The cleanse puts all the tools you’ve learned so far into action — including self-inquiry, yoga, breathwork, meditation, and circadian living.
During the cleanse, molecules of emotion will be released from the brain and fat cells — via a stem-cell activation cleanse using ghee and a mono-diet of kitchari, made of rice and mung beans.
You’ll pull back the bow of self-awareness and transformation — so when you do take aim at a goal, or your future, you’ll feel more steady and sure.
In this module, you’ll explore:
- Ways to become more aware of your unwanted patterns of behavior — and to set in motion the steps needed to free you from decades of emotional stress — in the silence of meditation
- How trapped emotions, along with environmental pollutants, are stored in our fat cells — and released at a moment’s notice when we feel threatened
- The transformational 4-day Kaya Kalpa Cleanse you can practice at home
- The power of the lipophilic mediated detoxification process, based on the transformational practice of Kaya Kalpa — in which self-inquiry, circadian medicine, and a digestive reset are combined with yoga, breathing, and meditation
- How Kaya Kalpa has recently been found to boost stem-cell production and cellular anti-aging repair
Module 7: Integrating the Ayurvedic Approach to Aging in Your Everyday Life (Plus, an Extended Q&A on the Kaya Kalpa Cleanse)
During this final module, John Douillard will guide you to pull all the conscious-longevity practices together to ensure lasting benefits far beyond these seven weeks.
John will review the most salient points of Ayurveda psychology, optimal digestion, exercise, and daily and seasonal circadian practices — and he’ll review how to effectively integrate the breathing practices you’ve learned into your yoga and meditation practices.
The extended Q&A session will allow you and your fellow participants to fully unpack your experiences and questions from the 4-day Kaya Kalpa Cleanse.
In this final module, you’ll discover:
- The benefits of the 4-day Kaya Kalpa Cleanse
- Key takeaways from Ayurvedic psychology, self-inquiry, restoring digestive health, circadian medicine, and living in sync with nature
- How to apply yoga, breathwork, and meditation to your daily life to become fully conscious
- How one of the most powerful truths of Ayurveda unfolds in your life — the truth that the more subtle an influence, the more powerful its effect
About Dr. John Douillard
Dr. John Douillard, DC, CAP is a globally recognized leader in the fields of natural health, Ayurveda, and sports medicine. He is the creator of LifeSpa, the leading Ayurvedic health and wellness resource on the web, with thousands of free articles, ebooks, and videos. With 10.7M+ YouTube views and over 135k newsletter subscribers, LifeSpa is evolving the way that Ayurveda is understood around the world, melding ancient wisdom with modern science.
The former director of player development for the New Jersey Nets NBA team, Dr. John Douillard is also a repeat guest on The Dr. Oz Show. He’s authored seven health books (including Eat Wheat and The 3-Season Diet), seven online courses (including Yoga Journal’s Ayurveda 201: Ayurvedic Psychology), and directs LifeSpa Ayurvedic Clinic, the 2013 Holistic Wellness Center of the Year in Boulder, Colorado.