Martha Peterson – Gentle, Effective Somatic Practices to Move From Pain to a Life Full of New Possibilities
Description of Gentle, Effective Somatic Practices to Move From Pain to a Life Full of New Possibilities
Release tension in your muscles, calm your nervous system, and reverse the feeling of “getting old” through a variety of gentle yet powerful movements that can greatly reduce pain and provide more ease and mobility… so you can fully thrive.
Martha Peterson, the author of Move Without Pain and the founder of Essential Somatics®, tells us that the feeling of getting old and “creaky” is not caused by the number of years we’ve lived…
Instead, it’s how we unconsciously adapt to the stressors in our lives — the accidents, injuries, surgeries, and emotional and psychological challenges — that determines whether or not we’re able to maintain our physical agility and independence, regardless of our age.
Through the work of Thomas Hanna, a professor, philosopher, pioneer in the field of somatics, and founder of Hanna Somatic Education, Martha learned the skill of self-sensing as the key to regaining freedom of movement and achieving long-term pain relief.
Hanna taught that when our bodies become habitually contracted due to emotional stress and physical injury, muscles lose their ability to fully relax… and we develop a condition known as Sensory Motor Amnesia (SMA) — which results in ongoing tightness, stiff joints, and persistent pain.
Yet, we have the choice to respond to stressors in healthier ways.
Join Martha in a highly experiential and profoundly liberating 7-module journey to discover how to cultivate your ability to sense where you have tension in your body, identify its root cause…
… and do powerful yet gentle somatic movement techniques to release that tension and free yourself of the chronic discomfort that may be holding you back from living your most self-actualized life.
You’ll delve deep into the power of pandiculation — a technique that resets your central nervous system, “unsticks” your body from harmful repetitive movements, and helps reverse the effects of SMA.
You’ll discover that eliminating muscle pain, stiffness, and that overall rickety feeling begins with the brain. Trauma and stress result in reflex patterns that change the way your brain senses and moves you, altering your experience of yourself, both physically and emotionally.
In every session, Martha will guide you in somatic movement techniques to unlearn those stress response reflex patterns and restore fluid, effortless, joyful movement — with practices you can do on your own, anywhere, anytime.
Anyone can do these, regardless of your level of physical ability, in your own living room — on the floor, standing, or sitting in a chair.
Relearning Movement Step by Step
As the seven modules of this Gentle, Effective Somatic Practices to Move From Pain to a Life Full of New Possibilities Course progress, Martha will take you through a perfectly designed, systematic process of relearning how to move, much like babies discover themselves and progressively develop the capacity to control their muscles.
She’ll lead you in somatic practices to restore freedom in the back, front, and sides of your body, and in your ribs, hips, and shoulders — so you can regain balance, improve breathing, have better posture, and enjoy comfort in everything you do.
And, as you learn more about SMA and the impact it has on your body, you’ll be better equipped to prevent injuries and other medical issues, and diminish depression and anxiety.
By the end of the program, you’ll have a full toolbox of practical, easy-to-use techniques that will transform how you feel in your body and your life. You’ll walk away with your own daily movement practice to remain pain-free, with full mobility and presence…
… and the capacity to continually grow and thrive in a self-actualized, deeply fulfilling life.
What you’ll learn in Gentle, Effective Somatic Practices to Move From Pain to a Life Full of New Possibilities
During this Gentle, Effective Somatic Practices to Move From Pain to a Life Full of New Possibilities Course with somatic movement practices, you’ll discover:
- Somatic movement techniques in every session that restore your freedom of movement in your ribs, hips, and shoulders, and in the back, front, and sides of your body… by reconnecting your mind with your body
- How to perceive aging, not by the number of years you’ve lived, but by how you’ve habituated to the challenges in your life — through 3 different stress reflex patterns
- How the technique of pandiculation can improve your sensory motor system, calm your nervous system, and sustainably control your muscles
- How to regain balance, improve breathing, have better posture, and enjoy comfort in everything you do
- How Sensory Motor Amnesia is the root cause of most muscle pain
- New ways to uncover unconscious patterns by exploring how you stand, walk, and sit… and become aware of how connected you are as a somatic system
- A variety of self-sensing exercises that release tension in specific areas of your body
- How to correct imbalances in your body due to physical trauma or one-sided activities that have led to unhealthy habituated movements
- Simple and safe somatic movement techniques that “unstick” your body from harmful repetitive movements
- How to create a daily practice with small movements you can do anytime, anywhere
- What’s possible for your future once you can move with more ease
- And much more…